If you're after proof that less really is more, the Holton was developed with a specialist branch of the British military, survived the most extreme testing perfectly in tact and instantly won hearts and minds, more than any other watch in our history.
If you're struggling to choose between the quartz and automatic versions, we wrote a little article here on the pros and cons of each.
The Brief: capable of prolonged exposure to water and dust, durable, shock resistant, clear visibility day or night, unidirectional ultra high grip timing bezel operable with a gloved hand, easy strap changes and comfortable strapping options that don't break.
The specification of the bezel gives a perfect insight into the level of detail required for the project to be successful. A precise 120 click ultra high grip bezel houses a stainless steel insert precisely embossed with hours and minutes indentations then flooded with high grade C3 SuperLuminova. The hobnail outer knurling is slightly higher than the insert to form a high grip surface for trustworthy operation even when using the palm of a wet gloved hand.
Both components are matt bead blasted, hardened to 1200HV (Vickers hardness scale) then a 0.8 micron PVD coating is applied whose hardness matches that of the stainless steel components.
N.B. this bezel is unapologetically fit for purpose. Please be warned it is likely to catch or wear shirt cuffs etc.
It's a no nonsense human powered automatic, fit for purpose and ready for duty, so much so that some are lauding it the ultimate off-grid watch.
So it's no coincidence that it's technical specification reads like the ultimate watch kit check list.
The last three photos are stills taken from a video of a quartz Holton and a Kimmeridge strapped to an ROV in the Gulf of Mexico in March 2020, still working at 3900ft - almost 3/4 mile underwater.
- 43mm stainless case with double thickness matt gunmetal PVD
- Ultra high grip, 120 click uni-directional bezel with case-hardened insert
- Scratch resistant sapphire 2mm crystal treated to lifetime anti-reflective coating
- Superb night time performance with ultra bright Superluminova dial and bezel
- Seiko NH35 automatic movement housed in EB's unique anti-shock suspension system
- 40 hour power reserve
- Solid stainless easy change strap bars
- Durable, soft EPDM fitted rubber strap
- Supercompressor bolted down beautifully detailed case back
- Triple sealed, high grip screw down crown, recessed out of harm's way at 4h
- 9H-3H 43mm excluding crown
- 12H-6H - 52mm max to tip of case shoulders
- Maximum thickness 14mm
- Fits up to 190mm/7.5" wrist perfectly
- Our leather and webbing straps fit larger wrists, and metal bracelets can have any number of links added